Bits Mashing

I love ‘bits’ resellers. They provide a great service and really help edge the miniatures community into areas of great creativity.

I’m particularly fond of the resellers that go to cons. There is nothing like rummaging through a container and finding just the right part for a project. Or finding something really cheap. Both things that are close to my heart.

At Adepticon this past month I ended up spending a lot of time (and money!) at the bits guys getting both full miniatures (Yay Crisis suits!) and some scratch building fodder.

Two of those things were an Eradicator gun for a dollar as well as an old style Leman Russ turret, which was also a dollar. I really like the old style turrets because they seem to have more character than the newer style. Maybe it’s the sensor/cargo bump on the left side, I dunno. And, as I mentioned here I need something that ‘ignores cover’, and the Eridacator fills that niche.

Anyways, the turret was missing the hatch (got plenty of those from the bits guy) and it, of course, doesn’t fit the hull of the new style leman but I still wanted to do something cool. I decided to put the Eradicator gun into the old turret, make a new bottom plate  to fit the newer Russ and add that thick side turret armor the old Demolishers had.

 photo 669F05A3-BBCC-472F-AC73-770D3C7F7D56.jpg

The starting point.

Turns out the gun fits reasonably well without any work. Needs a little help staying perfectly horizontal, but nothing bad. It has a bit of lateral movement, but not enough for me to really worry about.

I decided rather than trying to grind out the mounting ring, I would just pop off the old bottom plate and make a new one. I screwed up here, first tracing the old bottom plate to make the new one—which left the new one not fitting quite right. So Instead I just traced the bottom of the turret and then trimmed the plate down to fit flush.

 photo C807F0FE-FC13-45BA-BA95-EA98A50A7C5B.jpg

First try.

 photo 07C976D9-A475-43A8-8304-9E160605430F.jpg

Better try.

I’ve shimmed the bottom plate under the gun to help keep the gun horizontal, just a couple of strips of .020 styrene that were glued and sanded flush with the far-forward edge of the bottom plate.

You can also see in the above the picture the two lengths of thick styrene strips that will form the base of the side armor.

 photo 297FDE2B-0B73-489B-9C0F-DB6B9150F349.jpg

To make the side plate, I printed out the relevant page from a paper model kit to use as a template.

 photo 68D2D114-AA28-4C8C-A884-80BCDC6C28E8.jpg

Used the messed-up turret bottom to make the new side armor plate.

Of course, this is all pointless if I can’t get the turret mounted. So after some measuring I marked the turret ring but I didn’t have the right diameter of tubing to fit the new style hull, because.

So I took the biggest size I had, and started gluing some styrene strip around it to make it fit. It’s not glamorous, or even probably a good way to do it, but it’s working.

 photo 3EC1F7A7-ACE4-4765-B013-FFC431520F46.jpg

Trying to get the strip to lay right as I glue it. It, uh, kinda worked.

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

About greatersarcasmo

Father. Husband. Model builder, miniature painter, TV watcher and book reader

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: