Valk-detta Update

Well, I got the long fuselage half cut and sanded (though not as square as I would have liked…) and epoxied back together.

 

After everything is sanded and ready to be glued.

After everything is sanded and ready to be glued. (Sorry it’s kinda blurry)

After making sure everything was about as good as I could get it, I washed all the parts and let them dry. I then scored all the surfaces that would see glue, gathered my clamps and rubber bands and beseeched the Omnimessiah to bless my endeavor.

I used a razor saw to score the pieces considering the weight.

I used a razor saw to score the pieces considering the weight.

I then mixed up my ‘JB Kwik’ 5-miniute epoxy and went to work. I decided to go with epoxy due to the fact that the parts were all quite large, and the 5 minute working time let me make sure I had everything aligned as best I could.

You're going to need a couple of decent sized clamps for this.

You’re going to need a couple of decent sized clamps for this.

Don’t worry about any epoxy coming up through the seem, it’ll cut off and sand just fine, in fact it makes a great bulk filler that way.

I did the assembly in two parts, the large piece of the fuselage attached to the unmolested fuselage side and after that was all dry and set, I epoxied the cut down piece to the other two.

That rear edge was a pain.

That rear edge was a pain.

After everything was epoxied together I let it cure for an additional two-days just to make sure (and I was reading Taylor Anderson’s newest Destroyermen novel: “Straits of Hell”) everything was set.

Now came the fun part: Mixing and applying greenstuff (kneadatite). Not only was I trying to fix the seams from the fuselage shortening, but I was also trying to fix the area on the front of the fuselage where I had tried to pry the nose off.

I didn't take any photos pre-sanding but trust me, there was a LOT of greenstuff on this thing.

I didn’t take any photos pre-sanding but trust me, there was a LOT of greenstuff on this thing.

After sanding the first layer of filler, I’m ready to apply a finishing layer of filler, but honestly at this point I’m wishing I had just purchased the plastic bits…

On the front of the fuselage I decided to apply a thin piece of plasticard for a mating surface for the nose, it seemed much easier the trying to fill in all the gouges and rents in the resin.

Plastic bulkhead to glue the nose on.

Plastic bulkhead to glue the nose on.

The one tool I couldn’t live with out here was my sanding card. I cut out a rectangular piece of plastic, spray on a coat of spray adhesive and stuck on some wet/dry sandpaper. I put a couple of bricks on the plastic to make sure everything is flat, and viola! a tool that sands straight and allows you to keep hard edges.

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

About greatersarcasmo

Father. Husband. Model builder, miniature painter, TV watcher and book reader

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: