Well, after more than a year, Project: Valkdetta is mostly complete. All the major sub-assemblies are done and it looks like what it’s supposed to be. I’m missing the lower vertical stabilizers (I’ll have to look if I ever got them or not) and the front sensor array. If I don’t have the parts I’ll have to see if I can buy them reasonably or if I’ll have to plastic-card them.
Getting the booms and wings on was a bit of pain, what with the original alignment pegs having been broken in the tear-down process. It’s not perfect but I did the best I could. With the wings at least, the old mounting holes were still present, so I used the center of them to drill out holes for pinning.
For gluing all the major assemblies, I used JB Quick 5-miniute epoxy. I wont say it’s indestructible, but if something breaks, things have gone horribly wrong.
While I was test fitting the left wing on, I noticed the wing had gotten horribly warped. I can only imagine that it happened after I broke the model down and must have set something down on it.
Not to be discouraged (I totally was…) I decided to try boiling it and bending it back to the correct angle. Once again, it’s not perfect, but the angle is correct now (even if the wing has some ripples in it) and I decided to go ahead and glue it on.
I still need to fill in some gaps on the wing to fuselage joint and clean up some of the JB Quick that got where it shouldn’t be, but Valkdetta is now clearly a Valkyrie. I’ll fluff her rough appearance to being an old bird with a lot of battles behind her.
So as I’m dealing with a bum ankle, I might as well post some pictures and what not of what I’ve been up too.
Valkdetta is getting along. Engines and center hump-thingy are on, as well at the one boom. The other boom was a bit trickier—I had to clearance the engine to make sure it fit. That’s all settled now, so this weekend should see her getting close to completion. Just in time for the new Death From the Skies book to hit, even though it apparently doesn’t have anything about the Vendetta—or any of the FW fliers.
Here is my Vindicare assassin. I’m trying to follow the tutorial in “White Dwarf” as closely as I can. It’s my fist time painting anything in that style, so… I don’t hate it yet, but those edge highlights are a bit thick in my opinion.
This is my ‘bits’ priest. I picked up a bag of WFB Empire bits at Adepticon for $4 and made this guy. I added boots to him, and cut the spikes of his mace. He still looked more Chaos then not though, so I added an Aquila emblem from the Imperial Tank Sprue. I like him much better now. The autogun was made from a spare lasrifle, plastic tubing and some greenstuff.
I’ve been working on my Tau infantry at work during my lunches (cleaning them up and such) and decided I might as well throw paint on them. These are all second hand, and let’s face it, the old sculpts weren’t so great to begin with. These will be fluffed as a backwater garrison that suddenly got reinforced with some front line units. That’ll explain the old metal stealth suits I have as well as the old Crisis suits.
I have to many damned projects started and not enough finished.
So for now, I need to concentrate on what I have started and what can be quickly finished. Like a reverse triage system.
Projects like Project:Bass-ilisk. She’s currently been undercoated in a metal color, I just need to get some rust on her and then I’ll be ready for chipping medium and painting.
I have a few other not-named projects that have been shot with primer (a re-hashed Demolisher and a couple of Chimeras) that need the metal basecoat for weathering applied.
My Vindicare assassin is…oh 60% done. He’s turning out pretty good. So he should be pretty easy to finish quickly.
Project Valkdetta is getting there, one of the booms has been epoxied on, and the other side I had to clearance the engines, but the other boom is ready to go on, then it’s just the wings, doors, weapons and canopy. And paint. So yea, like almost done.
Then there’s the ‘Pile o’ Russ’, 5 Leman’s (three old style from the ARMAGEDDON boxing and two newer ones) that have their hulls done, but I need to work on the turrets yet. I’m thinking of just magnetizing them (perfect candidates from the ‘Single Magnet Magnetizing’ but I do have to re-barrel the battlecannon—I can’t stand the stock one.
I’ve managed to primer the vast majority of my built Cadian and Catachans. I’ve also got almost all of my Tau infantry done as well. Though those I mostly prep at work on my lunches, so they haven’t yet taken away from my ‘regular’ hobby time. But painting them is going to be a huge time sink.
Hmmm, what else… Oh, making my Valhallans. Though I need to come up with a suitable name for them, since they aren’t strictly Valhallans. Due the the Ushankas hitting on the molded in greatcoat collar, I’ll have to clearance them, so while not the quickest conversions, it’s not too involved.
Oh, right, my Mantic Space Dwarves. I’ll have to finish those too.
Damn. I have a lot to do.
So I guess in order of quickest time to completion and to maximize tool usage time:
Do metallic basecoat on primed Tanks and Chimeras
Add rust to Project: Bass-ilisk and tanks and Chimeras.
-Apply chipping medium
-Do paint and remove medium (if you wait to long, the chipping medium doesn’t release right…)
Vindicare finishing up.
Do magnetizing for Pile o’ Russes and make new Battlecannons
Paint my primered infantry
Work on my not-Valhallans.